[Hackrf-dev] ImportError: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgnuradio-osmosdr.so.0.1.5git: undefined symbol: _ZN3uhd6device4findERKNS_13device_addr_tE

Dominic Spill dominicgs at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 09:56:31 EDT 2017

On 20 March 2017 at 22:27, Dave New <N8SBE at arrl.net> wrote:

> I haven't been tinkering with grc for a while, but I've booted the Ubuntu
system now and then and taken any system updates offered.

> Apparently, something broke.  Now, whenever I try to execute any of my
grc saved files, it always quits with the following error:

> ImportError: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgnuradio-osmosdr.so.0.1.5git:
undefined symbol: _ZN3uhd6device4findERKNS_13device_addr_tE

This is an issue with a missing symbol in the UHD driver (for USRP
hardware).  Do you have the USD packages installed?  (check with 'dpkg -l |
grep uhd')

> I did a Google search, and found a conversation from last year about
library issues, but nothing that seemed to point out to me just how to go
about correcting this.  Maybe I'll have to bite the bullet and uninstall
all of the gnuradio stuff and re-install? AFAIK, it was all done using the
Ubuntu package manager.  PyBOMBS is not installed on this machine (yet).

> I'd like to be able to keep this stuff running without having to jump
into the arcane dependencies that can crop up now and then. Would
re-installing using PyBOMBS give me the least headache, or just a different
bunch of challenges?

I generally find the Ubuntu packages are up to date enough for everything I
want to do.  I do, however, build my own libhackrf, but that's mostly
because I'm working on it.  If you're not likely to modify the GNU Radio
code or HackRF code, then installing from the Ubuntu repositories should be
sufficient, if mildly out of date.

Dominic