[Hackrf-dev] SDR RX design 800-1000 MHz

Juan León Hidalgo García jl_hidalgogarcia at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 19 14:36:13 EDT 2017

Hello, first of all I'd like to say that you have done a great work and I'd like to thank you for sharing it, it has been very helpful.

I'd like to do some similar project but only in the RX domain. The circuit must be relatively small (for example to fit in a PCI-e socket) and the frequencies covered must include the range between 800MHz and 1GHz.

The idea is similar to some existing designs like the R820T+RTL2832 dongle, the AirSPY (R820T+LPC4370) or the SDRPlay with the MSi001+MSi2500, but with ICs that we can find easily.

I've done some research and I've found some interesting ICs:

** RF to I/Q BB: **

· ADRF6850. I've seen you have had some experience with it and it works. It's good that it has the LO integrated, 60dB of RF Gain, I/Q drivers to connect it directly to the ADC..  but it also demands 350mA.

· ADRF6801/07. I think it could work with an external RF LNA.

· ADRF6820. I like it but I think it needs too many external components: LO generator, RF LNA, drivers for the ADCs...

· ADL5380/82/87. The same as the ADRF6820 it needs some external components.

· TRF371125. It could be a good option, it needs an external LO and RF LNA (and could be some filters).

· LTC5586/84.

· AD8347.

** CLK generators **

· Si5351

** LO generators **

· LTC6946

** ADCs **

· MAX1183, MAX1193

· AD9201

** RF to Digital I/Q **

· LMS6002. I think it could be a good option. I only don't like that only half of the chip would be used (for RX).

· LTM9003. Good but expensive, no LO, output of ADC is in LVDS.

** MCUs **

· LTC4320. LTC4370 to possibly use its internal ADCHS. I'd really like to use this uC but I'm not sure the way it could sample the I/Q channels at the same time. If I have understood the datasheet it can sample 1 differential input or 6 single-ended inputs.. to be able of sampling the two differential inputs at the same time it could be necessary two baluns or two differential amplis to obtain a single ended input (I'm not sure how to do it without the insertion of phase and gain errors).

· STM32F205. Integrated ADC 2-6Msps. I've seen it in any of your posts.

· CYUSB201.

To make it simple (and small) I'd like to use the ADRF6850 with the LTC4370 and the Si5351 for CLK signals, other option could be ADRF6850 + MAX1183 + (LTC4320, CYUSB201 or another with USB) but I'm not sure at all if is a good option so any advise would be very appreciated.

Thanks,

Juan