[Hackrf-dev] Help Installing HackRF on Ubuntu for Linux Newbie

Dominic Spill dominicgs at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 15:13:30 EDT 2017

On 16 July 2017 at 12:26, Cinaed Simson <cinaed.simson at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 07/15/2017 11:01 AM, Jerry wrote:
>
> The HackRF is research instrument.
>
> Unless you're capable of installing the latest software release
>
>   https://github.com/mossmann/hackrf/releases
>
> and updating the firmware if necessary - and possibly on occasion,
> putting the device into the dfu mode when it appears dead, then you're
> not ready to play with the big boys.

To be clear, we (Great Scott Gadgets) will do our best to support previous
releases, especially if they are packaged by major Linux distributions.

I don't think it's fair for us to expect every user to build software from
source and we're actively working to make the experience easier, however
there are always going to be things that don't work on some systems that do
on others.  If anyone's HackRF isn't responding, I'm happy to field
questions via the mailing list or our IRC channel.

I will always endeavour to reply, although other work commitments and
travel often mean that it may often be days before I can reply.  Other
users around here are generally helpful, but they are more able to answer
questions if you provide output from various commands, such as lsusb,
hackrf_info, etc, and any other error messages that you receive.

Thanks,
  Dominic