[Hackrf-dev] Is my new (old) HackRF Deaf?

Jerry Stern jsternmd at att.net
Mon Jul 10 16:54:16 EDT 2017

Is my HackRF deaf?  I am a ham radio hobbyist and I bought a HackRF One to enhance my deeper learning of SDR but also as a broadband RF source.  To my dismay, installing the software has become days of learning Ubuntu basics and dealing with instructions that are at times outdated or nuanced towards a person with much more than basic Linux skills.  So, I gave up on Ubuntu only because it was faster for me to install and test with Windows 7.   My HackRF One (GreatScott) must have been a leftover as the firmware was dated 2014(August).  I installed the latest version HackRF tools and updated the firmware to Feb 2017.  I followed Mike's video tutorial for creating a basic GNU flow for FM and also installed SDR#.  I have very strong FM broadcast stations in my area which I can easily demodulate with my Rigol Spectrum analyzer using the ANT500. However both with GNU and SDR# my HackRF appears deaf in FM broadcast mode.  I read that a few years back there may have been some issues with cold solder joints on the HackRF pcb....  I have a lot of test equipment - from RF generators up to 2 GHz, etc but before I go that route is there something I am perhaps missing in my setup.  Not sure where or what details to provide here without overloading my question further .

Thanks

Jerry

Sent from my iPhone