[Hackrf-dev] Visualising 1090 MHz ADS-B

Andrew Rich vk4tec at tech-software.net
Sat Jul 8 21:01:57 EDT 2017

Ok my center frequency is 1090 MHz

The on off rate is 1 MB/s I think from memory

I have noticed the sampling rate determines the frequency span 10 MHz = 10 MHz

So there is a stream of I and Q coming out

What is I and Q telling me ?

Is I how far along the scan it is ?

And is Q telling me how big the signal
Is ?

Would an IQ file contain a whole heap of scans ?

I = X axis
Q = Y axis

I would need to sample fast enough as to not miss an amplitude change I want to see

I guess an IQ file is not plain text but 8 bit numbers packed ?

Does it go IQIQIQIQ ?

What relationship is I and Q to the center frequency ?

I think the signal amplitude resolution is described as 8 or 12 bits ?

So as the ADC is pumping out numbers, which it has no control over , it is just sampling the signal.

Why does it not just out put values of amplitude ? Or is that what the I is about ?

I am just trying to work out if I record 1090 MHz which is basically OOK on off keying, what would be contained in the file ?

Am I right with the 8 bits , IQIQIQ ?

Andy

Sent from my iPhone