[Hackrf-dev] HackRF and Raspberry Pi

Cinaed Simson cinaed.simson at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 18:12:36 EST 2017

On 02/23/2017 03:37 PM, Marc Pàmies Massip wrote:
> Hi Chuck,
>
> What I want to do is to scan a whole GSM band (let's say GSM-900) tuning
> the device at a different frequency at each step. With my computer I
> have no problem to work at the highest recommended sample rate (20 MHz),
> but I wanted to know if the same could be done with a combination of
> Raspberry/HackRF or Raspberry/RTL-SDR.
>
> Your think I could do it using the cheaper solution that you suggested?

Yes, for all the bands below 1.2 GHz, use a decent RTL dongle

   https://www.nooelec.com/store/nesdr-smart-sdr.html

which is stable at a sampling rate of 3.2 MHz and an error on order with
a HackRF.

For bands above 1.2 GHz - DCS or PCS - you'll need a HackRF - which
should work on the rpi since the channels are 200 kHz wide.

I've run the HackRF at a sampling rate of 1.75 MHz on BeagleBone Black.

So the HackRF should work on a rpi if has a FDI USB chipset.

Buy a decent logperiodic antenna

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cellular-Log-Periodic-Yagi-Antenna-CANT-0041-LTE-Verizon-AT-T-Wilson-Zboost-Ncon-/381271094632?hash=item58c5873568:g:VLUAAOxy0zhTMhWZ

The RTL dongle has a FEMALE SMA female connector - as does the HackRF.

The antenna has a FEMALE N-TYPE connector.

Ao you'll need a MALE N-TYPE to MALE SMA cable

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LMR240-UF-ULTRA-FLEX-SMA-MALE-N-MALE-Coaxial-RF-Pigtail-Cable-USA-/141788900952?var=&hash=item66a75640d5

choose your length.

I'd recommend 10 feet - get the antenna away from your compter and SDR -
and it allows you

Build a simple small stand out of PVC 3/4 inch pipe.

A long cable allows you move it around. It also gets the antenna away
from compter and SDR.

Then download kalibrate-rtl, and kalibrate-hackrf. They will allow you
to scan to calibrate your RTL dongle and HackRF and scan the GSM bands.

And last but not least, subscribe to

  gr-gsm at googlegroups.com