[Hackrf-dev] HackRF and Raspberry Pi

Cinaed Simson cinaed.simson at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 17:14:05 EST 2017

On 02/23/2017 03:32 PM, Marc Pàmies Massip wrote:
> Hi Cinaed,
>
> Thanks for your answer.
>
> Do you mean that depending of what kind of signals you want to detect it
> might be worth to use sample rates below the minimum recommended? For
> example, to look for GSM channels (BW=200kHz) I should use a lower rate?
>
> When I first asked the question I said that the lower limit is 8MHz
> because I read it somewhere a long time ago, but after sending the
> message I was looking at the specs again and I saw that the minimum
> supported sample rate is 2MHz
> (here: https://github.com/mossmann/hackrf/wiki/HackRF-One). Which one is
> the real minimum?
>
> Marc.
>>
>> On 23/02/2017 20:41:40, Cinaed Simson <cinaed.simson at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 02/23/2017 11:05 AM, Marc Pàmies Massip wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I wanted to ask if it is feasible to use a HackRF with a Raspberry
>> Pi.

Depends upon the task. For what I want to do, the answer is no. It's to
slow.

>> > I have seen that some people use both hardware together, but it sounds
>> > strange to me considering that the minimum sample rate recommended for
>> > the HackRF is 8 MHz.

Then you should be talking to these people and trying to figure out what
they're doing and how they're doing it.

The recommended sampling rate is roughly 3-4 time the Nyquist frequency
of the problem at hand.

>>A Raspberry Pi can support such a high sample
>> rate?

No. And neither will the pi3.

>> > Are there any other drawbacks to consider if this combination was to be
>> > done?

Other than having a slow CPU and USB and too little memory to do
anything except an extremely simple problem, no.