[Hackrf-dev] Issues using Hackrf one

Dominic Spill dominicgs at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 12:43:02 EDT 2016

On 29 September 2016 at 08:25, <kavya at tenettech.com> wrote:

> I am new to Hackrf. I am trying to use Hackrf One unit to receive a FM
station using GNU Radio. However I have not yet received the ANT500
antenna. so I am using a vert2450 antenna which i was using with USRP
devices.

The vertl2450 isn't going to help much in the broadcast FM band, but those
stations are often strong enough that you should still be able to pick them
up.

> 1. I am able to run the GRC without any error. the same grc (replacing
osmocom source with rtl-2832 source), i am able to receive a clear audio
from the local fm station. But when experimenting with hackrf, i could hear
only noise. Is this due to antenna which i am using?

Where did you get the grc flowgraph from?  Could you share it with us?
What sample rate are you using?  Filtering?

Have you tried looking at the same stations using GQRX?

>  should i use ANT500 antenna only?

Any antenna with an SMA connector will work with HackRF, the benefit of
ANT500 is that it is a telescopic antenna that covers the range of 75MHz to
1GHz, which is great for working with that part of HackRF's range.

> 2.I have not updated the firmware. so should i update it to do this
experiment.

It is always a good idea to update the firmware to match the version of the
host code that you are running.  If you have installed the latest release
(2015.07) it would be good to have matching firmware.

Dominic