[Hackrf-dev] FM 96.5MHz rx works but 70cm 441.1MHz rx does not?

Gavin Jacobs apriljunkbox at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 9 09:51:47 EST 2016

The hackrf is MUCH less sensitive than a typical handheld. If you are using the vertical antenna that came with the hackrf, then you will have trouble receiving any ham transmissions. I had the same experience as you, so here are some tips that got me going:

- calculate the 1/4 wavelength and set the telescoping antenna to that length

- put the antenna (and the hackrf unless you have some appropriate rf cable) high in the room

- increase the if_gain to 40; use a QT GUI slider to decrease it once you acquire a signal

- set the center frequency to an even multiple of MHz; then set your offset to hit the desired channel

It takes some patience, but eventually you will get the frequency visible on the chart.

Also, be careful not to hit PTT on your handheld, at any time, at any frequency, in the vicinity of the hackrf; any moderately strong rf can damage the front end of the hackrf. So, I suggest starting with the APRS frequency (in North America 144.39 MHz); you get steady traffic, you can hear it on your handheld, but you don't have to transmit anything.

Unfortunately, my flowgraphs are 2000 km away right now, but we can probably help you get going.

Jake