[Hackrf-dev] Scan for wifi networks?

Dominic Spill dominicgs at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 11:09:39 EDT 2016

On 3 June 2016 at 08:12, Jeff Thompson <mail at jeffreythompson.org> wrote:
> HI all, is it possible to scan for wifi networks with the HackRF one?

It's probably possible with gr-ieee802-11
(https://github.com/bastibl/gr-ieee802-11), but I have no idea of the
state or capabilities of that project.

> I’d at a minimum like to get the SSIDs of all the networks in range,
> preferably other stats with it (security settings, signal strength, etc).
>
> I’d prefer to do this directly with Python, rather than a GUI interface.

I can think of two easier options using an off the shelf USB wifi
adapter (e.g.the Alfa AWUS036NHA):
1) Use Kismet.  It does most of what you want and you can probably
coax it in to giving you the output you want in a format that can be
read in to python.

2) There's a library called lorcon
(https://code.google.com/archive/p/lorcon/) which has pyhton wrappers.
It abstracts away the differences in wifi chipsets and will probably
allow you to get the same information.

Dominic