[Hackrf-dev] Script (off-topic)

Michał Byrecki michal.byrecki at techniline.com
Mon Jul 11 07:44:05 EDT 2016

Howdy,
Dear Ian,
I believe, the knowledge how to use a rifle won't make You go out on a
street shooting random people.

HackRF is enough advanced, to be considered a good starting platform for
even military projects. I.e. one of my last thoughts was, that it might
be used as a spread-sectrum transceiver (secure-keyed frequency
chopping). Should we dump that idea at at once? Law does not allow using
spread-spectrum devices for ham radio operators, right...?

Regarding the airport traffic, I may suggest to have a look into the
presentations of Seeber Balint. In between the lines he is pointing out,
that the air traffic system may be easily spoofed. In my opinion that
requires to re-design the system, that would be safe & spoof free. Of
course, it involves the highly expensive efforts to solve the problem -
so instead of that we could make spoofing a "punishable offence" hoping
that noone will take a try. Could that be even called a "moral
attitude"...?

Reassuming - by my previous replies in a topic I was not trying to fed
the troll or script-kiddie, but to discuss the engineering matters. I am
pretty sure that knowledge has nothing to do with moral problems. The
moral problems may start once You want to apply the gained knowledge in
practice. Security by obscurity (by keeping the knowledge hidden) had
already proved not reliable.

Brgds,
Mike, SP5BYK