[Hackrf-dev] HackRF-dev Digest, Vol 40, Issue 9

Cinaed Simson cinaed.simson at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 19:11:53 EST 2016

On 02/19/2016 06:00 AM, McDonald, J Douglas wrote:
> Somebody wrote:
>
> "Hi as many others here I did something wrong when I Transmitted with my HackRF and I've discovered that it produced very little power when i've activated TX Amp (if TX Amp is off the signal is normal)
>
> So i am suspecting that i've destroyed TX Amp"
>
> I spent two days trying to transmit with my HackRF using
> HackRF_Transfer on Windows.  I eventually discovered that there
> is only tiny distorted output with RF amp set to "1". With it to
> zero it works as expected. This was frustrating as its clearly
> documented to work!
>
> Attempting to use SDR# to receive causes the RF amp to work correctly.
>
> I seem to recall the amp working on transmit using GnuRadioCompanion
> on Ubuntu, but now that I've got the thing working on a non-niche OS
> I'm not going to try that again!
>
> Could it be a software bug or bad documentation?

We might be able to figure out what you did wrong. Please post the
output of

   hackrf_info

and the entire command used with

   hackrf_transfer

Are you using an antenna?

Are you using an external amplifier?

How did you determine the transmission wasn't working?

What was the pattern of the LED lights when you tried to transmit?

The HackRF is well documented - see

  https://github.com/mossmann/hackrf/wiki/FAQ

  https://greatscottgadgets.com/sdr/