[Hackrf-dev] Averaging in osmocom_spectrum_sense or something better?

Bruce E. Kahn bkahn at clemson.edu
Thu Feb 18 09:02:11 EST 2016

Hi HackRF afficionados

I am working on a research project on ambient RF energy harvesting
(using printed metamaterial antennas). I recently got a HackRF One to
help understand the ambient RF energy present and correlate it with
energy harvesting performance. It seems like a great device, a lot of
fun to play with, and should be very helpful in my research. I have been
using osmocom_spectrum_sense to obtain a wide range RF energy spectrum
(or at least approximation). I would like to be able to average each
segment for some amount of time, similar to what some of the FFT sink's
can do. I think that osmocom_spectrum_sense misses quick bursts of
energy, particularly when it samples quickly. I was also wondering if
there is a newer way to do this or updated osmocom_spectrum_sense, or if
anyone has done something like this in GRC?

Thanks in advance!

---