[Hackrf-dev] Thanks To All You Guys Stateside !. :)

Stephen refsmmat at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 16:01:59 EST 2016

Hi James,

I have had similar problems with RX sensitivity on a genuine HackRF.

These are just my views, but from the posts I have read (here & elsewhere),
some of the genuine HackRFs have substantial RX sensitivity issues.

I found myself in this situation - I have been trying to use the HackRF for
narrowband VHF  RX & found it was being outperformed by the cheap dongles.

Convinced there was an issue, I did side by side testing using an RF test
set (HP8920) & found there was about an 8-10db difference in RX sensitivity
(measured by the receiver's ability to detect an unmodulated carrier above
the noise floor).

I have been able to significantly improve the performance of the HackRF with
an external LNA with a low noise figure (~$30-$40 US) . This works as the
first amp in the RX chain has the most significant impact on RX system noise
- well it is working out so far.

If you don't want to go to this trouble, I suggest the Airspy. It is RX
only, but its performance is very good.

Another alternative, I have found the RX performance of the clone HackRFs is
substantially better than the genuine one (in my case).

Regards

Stephen