[Hackrf-dev] RTL-SDR For Hobbyist Comments About HackRF

Dominic Spill dominicgs at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 12:13:40 EDT 2016

On 14 April 2016 at 07:55, O.T. Powell <otpowell at gmail.com> wrote:
>> In the hard copy that I have of this book, it says that the HackRF RX
>> capabilities aren't as good as the SDR Play or the BladeRF.  Is this because
>> it only has a 8bit ADC?  Or is this information provided by the writer of
>> the book perhaps incorrect or just an opinion?

It really depends what the author means by "aren't as good as", so I'd
call this an opinion, although it's almost certainly based on criteria
that I would hope the author explained in the book.

The choice of radio entirely depends what you plan to use the radio
for.  For my usage, I find the frequency range and portability of
HackRF to be real benefits and I've not had a requirement for greater
dynamic range.  If you have an application that requires greater
dynamic range or more than 20MHz bandwidth, then HackRF won't be the
right choice.

Dominic