[Hackrf-dev] FM Modulating external MPX Signal

Karl Koscher supersat at cs.washington.edu
Sun Sep 6 17:46:50 EDT 2015

GNU Radio supports JACK as an audio source and sink. You can set the
default audio interface with a config file (see
http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/repository/revisions/master/entry/gr-audio/lib/gr-audio.conf
for an example).

You probably don't want to use the WBFM block since it will apply
preemphasis, which stereotool should already do, and may also apply a low
pass filter, which would effectively destroy the encoding that stereotool
does.

Instead, you should just use the standard FM Modulation block. It will ask
for a "sensitivity" parameter, but looking at the WBFM block source, it
seems like you should just set it to 2 * math.pi * max_dev / quad_rate,
where max_dev is 75 kHz and quad_rate is the output symbol rate. Note that
the output symbol rate of the block is the same as the input symbol rate,
so you'll probably want a rational resampler before the FM modulator to
take the signal from 192 kHz to whatever sample rate you feed in to the
HackRF (you'll probably want to use something like 2112 ksps, which is the
smallest integer multiple of 192 ksps that's above the 2 msps minimum of
the HackRF... 1920 ksps may also work?)