[Hackrf-dev] State of bluetooth sniffing

Richard Smith smithbone at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 07:48:32 EDT 2015

I've recently purchased a hackrf one and I've begun to work my way
through the sdr with hackrf tutorials on GSG.

I'd like to use the hackrf as a bluetooth sniffer/ BT signal strength
monitor.

I've been reviewing all the info I can find about BT sniffing and
gnuradio but the bulk of it seems out of data or for the Ubertooth.

Based on DEF CON 17 - Bluetooth Smells like Chicken video I have watced
with  Dominic Spill, Michael Ossmann, and Mark Steward.  All of this
seemed possible with the USRP.

Has similar stuff been done with the hackrf one?

Is there anyone here actively using hackrf one to sniff BT packets or to
follow a devices hopping pattern?

The background is that I work for a wearable company with a device that
uses BT Classic (full rate EDR) to send over the data we collect.  I'm
investigating some signal strength and connectivity issues we are having.

We are looking at purchasing an FTE or Ellisys, but I'm trying to find a
setup that is a bit more flexible (read: controllable via python code)
for automated or long running tests.

--
Richard A. Smith