[Hackrf-dev] firmware development

Sukandar Kartadinata sk at glui.de
Wed Nov 18 19:51:08 EST 2015

Hi,
I’ve just managed to install the toolchain for building custom firmware under Mac OS X.
Here’s some notes (maybe useful for others trying to do this) and one problem:

1. Make sure when you download libopencm3 from https://github.com/mossmann/libopencm3/ that it ends up in the libopencm3 folder of the HackRF distribution
This might be obvious for some, but I had to find out the hard way…

2. Building libopencm3 requires yaml. Make sure your Python install includes it. Mine didn’t.
(if your Python install script (easy_install / pip) can’t find yaml - you have to pick one of the packages that are listed when doing a search for it. I went for PyYAML)

3. When you cd into the blinky folder for your first build:
just typing ‘make’ as the Wiki suggests (https://github.com/mossmann/hackrf/wiki/Firmware-Development-Setup)
won’t work. The build system uses cmake so you have to do that first. The steps are explained in the Readme.

After that I got a working blinky.bin, hooray!

Now here’s the one problem:
When the build system tries to make the .dfu version I only get the help message from dfu-suffix, i.e. it lists its options, so somehow it seems to be invoked in a wrong way.

Here’s the relevant line in […]/blinky/build/CMakeFiles/blinky.dfu.dir/build.make

	dfu-suffix --vid=0x1fc9 --pid=0x000c --did=0x0 -s 0 -a _tmp.dfu

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Sukandar