[Hackrf-dev] Install GNURadio on Windows

Josh Blum josh at joshknows.com
Mon Nov 16 01:05:35 EST 2015

> I downloaded and extracted the latest version of the PothosSDR
> binaries from http://downloads.myriadrf.org/builds/PothosSDR/
>
> Looking through the extracted files, I found hackrf.dll and the HackRF
> tool executables in "PothosSDR-2015.10.05-vc12-x64/$_OUTDIR/bin".  Do
> those tools work for you?
>
> The same directory also contains a copy of osmosdr.dll and what
> appears to be most of GNU Radio.  So you probably have almost
> everything you need already built.

Dominic,

So the hackrf.dll should be fine to use. But I don't think there is a
osmosdr.dll. You probably saw SoapyOsmoSDR.dll from the SoapyOsmo
project. But, I would be careful about copying dlls because there may be
a mismatch in the version of GR or MSVC build version that would cause
an ABI incompatibility. Also, I was building with GR 3.7.1 (and yes I do
need to update that).

The PothosSDR environment is primarily using GNU Radio for the blocks. I
actually disabled the swig build because it added time (and like 50Mb to
the installer). But it wouldn't be difficult to build and include the
complete GNU Radio + GrOsmoSDR as well. That would narrow down the post
install tasks to setting the PYTHONPATH and installing some python
dependencies for GRC.

So I'm not quite sure what Chocolatey's installer was missing, but I do
try to package most SDR drivers that I can get my hands on. So if there
is any interest, or someone would like a particular package, drop a note
in the PothosSDR issue tracker, I think that would be easiest for me:
https://github.com/pothosware/PothosSDR/wiki

There's always a bit of patching and iterating, so it will take me some
time to update things.

Thanks,
-josh