[Hackrf-dev] HackRF firmware update

Paul Connolly eeipcy at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 02:31:47 EST 2015

Upgrading the firmware is not rocket science, it is basically two
commands one to upgrade the firmware and one to upgrade the CPLD code.

1> goto https://github.com/mossmann/hackrf
2> click on "releases"
3> download the latest release (at the time of writing this is "release
2015.07.2", so I'm clicking on "hackrf-2015.07.2.zip" )
4> extract the files
5> the binary firmware and binary CPLD are in the firmware-bin folder
For a normal upgrade these would be called "hackrf_cpld_default.xsvf"
(CPLD code) and "hackrf_one_usb_rom_to_ram.bin" (ARM firmware)

6> Compile and install the tools under Linux as described here (If you
have not installed them already)
https://github.com/mossmann/hackrf/tree/master/host or host/README.md
inside the zip file. If "hackrf_info"  works then you have some version
of them installed already.

Following the example given here:
https://github.com/mossmann/hackrf/wiki/Updating-Firmware the two
commands using the firmware binary release would be:

Confirm that your hackrf works before attempting to upgrade the firmware:
$ hackrf_info
$ hackrf_transfer -r /dev/null -n 100000000
(if both of the above commands exited with no error messages (e.g.
"|hackrf_open() failed: HACKRF_ERROR_NOT_FOUND (-5)"|) then your HackRF
should be working fine, so it should be safe to proceed)
$ hackrf_spiflash -w firmware-bin/hackrf_one_usb_rom_to_ram.bin
(Once it has finished with no errors - unplugging the HackRF and
plugging it back in)
$ hackrf_cpldjtag -x firmware-bin/hackrf_cpld_default.xsvf
(when it is finished with no errors - unplugging the HackRF and plugging
it back in)

(confirm that the upgrade worked, that the version is what you expected)
$ hackrf_info

And even if you messed up really badly, there is a special DFU mode
hardcoded into a ROM inside the ARM CPU that you can return your HackRF
to a working state (This mode only needs to be used if "lsusb" does not
display the HackRF  vendor and product ID "1d50:6089" when plugged into
Linux). It is not quite as easy as just the above two commands, it is
how they install the firmware in the factory see:
https://github.com/mossmann/hackrf/wiki/Updating-Firmware#only-if-necessary-recovering-the-spi-flash-firmware

If you were using Ubuntu/Debian/RPi to upgrade the firmware, although
out of date, the following has a very detailed gist of what you need to
do: http://314256.blogspot.com/2014/09/RPi.upgrade.H1.firmware.html