[Hackrf-dev] How to Scan 2.4 Ghz, 5Ghz Wi-Fi and non Wi-Fi device using HackrfOne

Dominic Spill dominicgs at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 08:40:12 EST 2015

On 3 November 2015 at 02:13, chandu <chandu73 at gmail.com> wrote:

> am very new to this forum, and don't have any idea on how to start using
this device.

There are many resources available to learn about using SDR hardware, I
would particularly recommend the video series that Mike has made available
here: http://greatscottgadgets.com/sdr/

The easiest was to get started is to use a tool such as GQRX or SDR# and
take a look around the spectrum.  You can leave your gain settings fairly
low (amp off) and should be able to pick up local FM stations, see adb-s
traffic, etc

> wondering that is it possible to scan  2.4 Ghz , 5Ghz Wi-Fi and non Wi-Fi
device using the HackrfOne??

HackRF One is able to receive in both of those bands, but decoding modern
wifi with SDR may require some software development and in many cases isn't
possible due to hardware constraints.  Wifi channels are a variety of
widths, 802.11b/g use 20MHz bands, which can be captured with HackRF One,
but newer wifi variants use 40 or 80MHz channels, which is far too wide for
most SDR hardware to receive.

The most promising 802.11 SDR project that I've seen is here:
https://github.com/bastibl/gr-ieee802-11  It is installable using pybombs,
but I have never tried it.

Dominic