[Hackrf-dev] Help with troubleshooting hackr_transfer used for replaying a remote control

Arthur Shapiro art11s at hotmail.com
Fri May 15 17:57:55 EDT 2015

I'm an RF newbie working on a project which requires real-time programmatic control of a consumer device I own.  I'm trying to record and replay signals (increase/decrease temperature) from this RF remote  using hackrf_transfer (inspired by this video).  The transmit command is not recognized by the device, so my question is what is the best plan of attack in order to figure out why.  Here are some sample commands I've tried:
hackrf_transfer -f 433920000 -r test.wav -b 1750000 -s 16000000hackrf_transfer -f 433920000 -t test.wav -b 1750000 -s 16000000 -a 1 -x 47
I've also run it with the w option and looked at the signal in Audacity (attaching screenshot).  Comparing it with the signal I recorded using SDR# and an USB dongle, it looks a bit noisier.  Also, there is a difference in amplitude between the packets in hackrf recording, while they're the same in the dongle recording.
Which parameters for the rx/tx commands should I try to experiment with?  What kind of distortions during the tx or rx phases could cause this to fail?