[Hackrf-dev] HackRF one as spectrum analyzer

Karl Koscher supersat at cs.washington.edu
Tue May 12 14:28:26 EDT 2015

My experience seems to suggest that the HackRF is actually a bit noisier
than some RTL dongles. You may also need to tweak the RTLUSB scanner
software to make it work.

One potential advantage that the HackRF has is that it has its own
processor on board, so theoretically you could have the on-board processor
do the tuning, which would let you sweep the spectrum a lot faster than you
could by sending tuning commands over USB. There are some old threads on
this mailing list about that, but as far as I know, no one has implemented
it yet.

And of course, the HackRF lets you scan spectrum outside of what your RTL
dongle supports.