[Hackrf-dev] Fw: HackRF One troubles after Firmware Upgrade

Dominic Spill dominicgs at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 10:15:02 EDT 2015

Hi Hutz,

I'm sorry that I missed your email last week, I'm not sure how that happened.

On 25 March 2015 at 12:39,  <hutz at gmx.at> wrote:

> The Failure is that now after the upgrade, gqrx and RF-Analyzer at Android, are not showingf the prober spectum. for example the device is not showing the FM-radio-stations. and the peaks i get in this band are not wfm. So it receives something, but what?

Have you checked your antenna?  Have you tried with the amplifier
switched off?  What are your gain settings in gqrx?  Could you take a
screenshot to show us what is wrong?

> What i have done i executed this commands:
> "hackrf_spiflash -w hackrf_one_usb_rom_to_ram.bin"
>
> "hackrf_cpldjtag -x firmware/cpld/sgpio_if/default.xsvf"

Good, it's goof to update both the firmware and CPLD at the same time.

> Output of hackrf_info:

> Firmware Version: 2014.08.1

This is the latest release, which is a known good firmware.

> Everthing should be up to date and i tried to solve the issue with the DFU procedure:
> https://github.com/mossmann/hackrf/wiki/Updating-Firmware#recovering-the-spi-flash-firmware

It looks to me like the version of the firmware is correct, there is
no need to use the DFU update procedure.

> I get an error at the first command:
>
> "dfu-util --device 1fc9:000c --alt 0 --download hackrf_one_usb_ram.dfu"
> Output:

< removed DFU output>

> This is the point where i stuck now... how to rescue my HackRF?

Did this complete?  Was this all of the output?  Those messages are
mostly warnings and appear whenever updating the HackRF using
dfu-util.

When the DFU procedure completes it restarts the HackRF running the
newly downloaded code.  Did this not happen?  Were there any other
error messages?

> Btw, is there a nice procedure / software for sending with the hackrf?

Do you mean for sending from one HackRF to another?  You can use any
radio system that GNU Radio supports.  I suggest looking at the list
in the GNU Radio gitHub repository:
https://github.com/gnuradio/recipes

Thanks,
  Dominic