[Hackrf-dev] hackrf_open() failed: HACKRF_ERROR_LIBUSB

Dominic Spill dominicgs at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 04:59:32 EDT 2015

On 21 March 2015 at 03:06, Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina
<zerochaos at gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 03/19/15 06:34, Paul Connolly wrote:
>> The kernel modules (RX only) for new  SDR devices was known to be
>> arriving for the HackRF in 3.18 for a while.
>> http://palosaari.fi/linux/
>> ... snip ...
>> AirSpy SDR driver (airspy)
>> * Kernel 3.17
>>
>> HackRF SDR driver (hackrf)
>> * Kernel 3.18
>> * only RX
>> ... snip ...
>>
> Is this stuff known bad or what?  Should everyone be avoiding the in
> kernel drivers?

I'm not aware of any software that interacts with it and it claims the
hardware as soon as you plug it in, so I think we should all be
blacklisting it by default.  We may need to look at the possibility of
installing a blacklist file in to /etc/modprobe.d when we install the
HackRF tools as this will break for every user when they run 3.18.

I'm not sure why kernel developers feel that it's acceptable to break
the official library/tools associated with the hardware without first
getting in contact to discuss it.  Maybe in time we'll start using the
kernel driver, but I don't see that it provides any benefit at this
stage and using it would remove our ability to make changes to the
host / firmware interface.

Dominic