[Hackrf-dev] DVB-T and DVB-T2

Simon Kennedy simon at thekennedys.info
Tue Jun 30 17:57:54 EDT 2015

I feel slightly embarrassed as I subscribed to this list using an email
address that is redirected to my main email, so consequently replies sent
from my main email address were not coming from the correct address. Hence,
none of the replies I posted have been seen on the list. Oops!

Here is my reply about this thread:

Hi Craig,

Check out Clayton's web page (who created the sdr-examples you refer to)
here <http://www.irrational.net/2014/03/02/digital-atv/>

I amended his BladeRF script and I have put my HackRF version here
<https://www.dropbox.com/s/bdnzoa0kn01dfav/dvbt-hackrf_tx_sk.py?dl=0> for
download
My version transmits DVB-T on the lowest Freeview channel in the UK at
474MHz (obviously only while using a dummy load). I successfully received
the transmission of my webcam image this way using an RTL-SDR dongle.

The command I used was very heavily influenced (ok, basically copied) from
Clayton's examples:
avconv -f alsa -i hw:0,0 -f video4linux2 -s 640x480 -i /dev/video0 -vf
drawtext=fontfile=/usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont/FreeMonoBold.ttf:text="TEST
":x=440:y=420:fontsize=48:fontcolor=white at 0.6:box=1:boxcolor=black at 0.4
-vcodec mpeg2video -r 60 -b 2000000 -acodec mp2 -ar 48000 -ab 48000 -ac 2
-mpegts_transport_stream_id 1025 -mpegts_service_id 1 -mpegts_pmt_start_pid
4096 -mpegts_start_pid 400 -f mpegts -y in.fifo

I used a standard web cam to capture the image, sent the output to a fifo
file (in.fifo) and consumed the output through the python program with the
command:
./dvbt_hackrf_tx_sk.py in.fifo

The fifo file can be created using the command mkfifo in.fifo

Run the avconv command and the python program in the same directory as you
created the fifo file in.

I have also transmitted DVB-S which I have documented on my blog here
<http://photohamrad.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/transmitting-video-with-hackrf-blue.html>

Simon.