[Hackrf-dev] Hackrf One minimum sample rate

Michael Ossmann mike at ossmann.com
Thu Jun 4 13:48:00 EDT 2015

On Thu, Jun 04, 2015 at 05:15:18PM +0200, Karsten von Hornbostel wrote:

> My question is, since using 2 Msps worked all the time but was not
> recommended, is it recommended now to use 2 Msps or may there still be
> distortions or whatever when using sample rates below 8 Msps?

The 8 Msps recommendation originally came from the 7.5 Msps minimum
specification of the ADC on HackRF One.  Over time we discovered that it
worked fine down to around 2 Msps.  The main reason it stops working
well below 2 Msps is that the minimum baseband filter bandwidth is 1.75
MHz, so aliases are unavoidable if you go much below 2 Msps.

For narrowband signals, use 2 Msps or higher and decimate/interpolate in
software.  For the absolute best performance, use the highest sample
rate your system can handle and decimate/interpolate.

Mike