[Hackrf-dev] Firmware not stored in SPI flash after fw. update

Søren Løkkegaard huginsvej1 at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 29 03:13:22 EDT 2015

Hi,

I experience problems like previous described in the thread "hackrf firmware update does not work" some month ago.

Tried to update firmware to latest build 2015.07.2 using the described procedure. After updating the spectrum is inverted and frequencies doesn't match anymore.

Checking the firmware with hackrf_info shows that the SPI Flash still contains the old firmware:

Found HackRF board.
Board ID Number: 2 (HackRF One)
Firmware Version: git-44df9d1
Part ID Number: 0x0069473f 0x0069473f
Serial Number: 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x4578xxxx 0x3215xxxx

Then I tried the dfu-util method.
Now hackrf_info showed the correct firmware in RAM.
Running the "hackrf_spiflash -w hackrf_one_usb_rom_to_ram.bin" just erased the SPI flash leaving it empty.

Now the hackRF one can't boot anymore and the LED's RX and 3V3 lights up in normal brightness. The TX LED also lights up dimmed.

Only way to get it running is by dfu-util uploading the firmware to RAM and keep the unit powered.
I have checked the SPI flash pins with an oscilloscope. Clock, data and control signals occurs as expected. The voltages also looks right. I'm not able to check the timing.

Any suggestions of how to cure the problem?

B.r. Soren