[Hackrf-dev] Please help to calculate the correct attenuator for my GSM antenna

Johan Nel nelle at btinternet.com
Wed Jul 15 12:35:28 EDT 2015

Hi,

Please could someone assist me with this. I'm not at all familiar with
electronics. My interest is programming.

I have purchased the following GSM antenna:

4G Multiband High Gain Omnidirectional Antenna (Multi Band Dipole Array)

50 Ohm Impendence

5 to 6 dBi gain (depending on the band)

Max input power - 20 Watts (for GSM 900 and LTE 800), 10 Watts (for GSM 1800
and UMTS)  and 6 Watts (for WLAN and LTE 2600)

5 meter low loss cable with a SMA male connector

I understand that the HackRF has a max RX of -5 dBm and its recommended is
to fit an attenuator to prevent the risk of damage.

Please could you assist me in calculating the correct attenuator I should be
using to protect my HackRF from permanent damage, using this antenna.

Many thanks and regards,

Johan Nel.