[Hackrf-dev] FW: FW: deaf HackRF

Jay Bougie jaybougie at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 07:38:56 EST 2015

Since I'm the link quoted, I can say the issue I mentioned cleared up on
subsequent firmware updates (and after adding band stop filtering in the FM
band. ) Also got better at finding the best gain values for my application.

That was also about a Jawbreaker HackRF, not a HackRF One.

In summary, not a good comparison for your observations.

Have you tested your test setup (for example swapped cables and antenna for
the HackRF/RTL), as a sanity check.

Hi Karl & Paul,

Thanks for the comments.

Karl – for both tests the gain details were max gain on both devices. VGA
gain on hackrf to 14db (but adjusting VGA gain makes little improvement to
S/N)

HackRF AMP was OFF for first test.

I don’t think a half duplex TX capability is going to significantly affect
receive performance. Conventional 2 way radios use a diode switch to select
/ isolate RX while TX is active & this does not prevent RF performance of
<0.35uv gating sensitivity.

Paul,

I have rerun the test –with HackRF sample rate 2MSPS & 0.25MSPS as you
suggested.

I ran the test in a simpler way, RF level required for carrier to show
above noise floor.

The performance gap closed to 28dB from 32-36db with the amp off & about
16db with the amp on.

Also, to expand on the NOAA RX test I did previously, I tried a variety of
sample rates & amp settings to receive a NOAA satellite – the best being
fractionally above the noise floor. Under same test conditions, the RTL was
able to receive NOAA APT easily.

I think my intent has been misunderstood here – I am interested to
establish if my HackRF is faulty or if this the normal RF sensitivity.

Below is  a previous reference to a deaf HackRF, related to a manufacturing
issue:

http://nine.pairlist.net/pipermail/hackrf-dev/2013-August/000236.html

Is anyone able to provide more details on the fault listed in the link
above (I.E. is it common, measured effect, resolution etc)?

Thanks

Stephen