[Hackrf-dev] FW: deaf HackRF

Stephen refsmmat at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 15:25:09 EST 2015

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply.

The RX sensitivity figure I quoted is dBm – ‘Decibels above a MilliWatt’. -95dBm is 95 db below a MilliWatt, wheras -127dBm is 127 db below a MilliWatt.

This test was conducted with an RF signal generator.

Regarding the test, to register minimum scale on the SDR# spectrum, the HackRF required -95dBm , the RTL2832 required only -127dBm.

Expressing this as microvolts instead of dBm, the equivalent level in microvolts (to register the same scale on SDR#) are:

0.1uV  for the RTL2832

3.5uV for the hack RF

Accordingly, The HackRF requires considerably more signal to register the same scale on SDR#.

I discovered this performance limitation when  I attempted to try to receive NOAA weather satellites, I found HackRF barely registered, wheras the RTL2832 registered a strong signal for the same satellite pass  on the same antenna.

I appreciate you are trying to help & I don’t mean to be rude by contradicting you,  but the HackRF I have is definitely ‘deaf’.

Regards,

Stephen