[Hackrf-dev] info on GSM

Cinaed Simson cinaed.simson at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 22:35:53 EST 2015

On 12/20/2015 03:11 AM, Srinivasan T wrote:
> Hi There,
>

> telescopic antenna
> I have HackRf with telescopic antenna.

If it's ANT500 telescopic antenna it has a frequency of 75-500 MHz -
roughly 500 MHz fully collapsed.

> How do I see GSM signals ?

My GSM signals were in the 800 MHz band.

I picked up a log periodic antenna on Ebay - sold by the guy who gave a
presentation at DEFCON22 on how to choose an antenna

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cellular-Zboost-Log-Periodic-Yagi-Antenna-CANT-0041-GSM-LTE-Verizon-AT-T-Wilson-/381271094632?hash=item58c5873568:g:VLUAAOxy0zhTMhWZ

I use the log periodic antenna indoors. Made a small 24 inch stand out
of PVC pipe and picked up 20 feet of LMR400 cable so I could move it
away from computer equipment and point it in different directions.

Then I downloaded gr-gsm from github and installed it on pentoo, and
using gnuradio, fired gr-gsm.

> I have seen few videos but all of them using dongle base.

They only need 1 MHz of bandwidth - I believe the GSM signal they're
looking at has a bandwidth of around 200 kHz.