[Hackrf-dev] HackRF One coverage

Paul Connolly eeipcy at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 07:57:22 EST 2015

You did not mention the frequency, type of antenna, modulation used,
data rate, if FEC used - I do not believe anyone can answer your
questions with the information provided.

At least one HackRF has sent 50 bits of information 2299km over 2 (or
15) minutes using a antenna designed for the 20 meter band (14MHz) using
the WSPR protocol.
https://twitter.com/argilo/status/501072471496601600
https://twitter.com/argilo/status/501515208280375296

If you look at the command line arguments supported by hackrf_transfer
... snip ...
        [-a amp_enable] # RX/TX RF amplifier 1=Enable, 0=Disable.
        [-l gain_db] # RX LNA (IF) gain, 0-40dB, 8dB steps
        [-g gain_db] # RX VGA (baseband) gain, 0-62dB, 2dB steps
        [-x gain_db] # TX VGA (IF) gain, 0-47dB, 1dB steps
... snip ...
There are three gains for RX and two gains for TX. In gnuradio the exact
same would be true (so for RX the block has RF, IF and BB but for TX
only RF and BB)
RF RX/TX 0dB or 14dB
IF  RX only 0-40dB, 8dB steps
BB RX 0-62dB, 2dB steps
BB TX 0-47dB, 1dB steps

I would not enable the RF amplifier unless your antenna has a good SWR,
i.e. it was designed for TX. In fact I would not even TX unless your
antenna has a good SWR. If you are going to TX you should know a lot of
theory, and the laws that apply, so it would be best to get a amateur
radio license and learn both.

For more to think about see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Path_loss
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friis_transmission_equation