[Hackrf-dev] Problems with the transmitter

Dominic Spill dominicgs at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 03:49:58 EST 2015

Hi Nicholai,

I'm sorry we missed you on IRC a few days ago.  I have added some
questions in line below to help diagnose the problem.

On 7 December 2015 at 05:38, Nicholai H. <nicholai123 at hotmail.dk> wrote:

> I was playing around with my HackRF One a few days ago, then suddenly I made
> a little movement on my table which caused the ant500 to reconnect, then the
> trouble came.

> Now when I'm trying to transmit, it's only transmitting noise(if anything at
> all) on the specified frequency.

Do you have any problems with receive?  Or is receive working just as
well as before?

> I was told that it could be caused by the HackRF discharging through the
> amp(not sure if that's correct)
>
> What could be the issue here?

There are a few things that could have happened.  Could you confirm
that the HackRF One is available over USB and running the latest
firmware (the output from hackrf_info should tell you this)?

Do you have multiple antennas?  Or just the ANT500?  Could you compare
RX performance with the ANT500 and some other sort of antenna?

Do you have a multimeter or some way to test for a short in the
antenna?  If the antenna was knocked or damaged it could be shorting
the signal and ground.  Check that the centre pin is connected to the
antenna, but that the surround is not connected to either.

What are you using to receive your signal?  i.e. what is the device
that tells you that you are transmitting noise?

If you can answer these questions, we can try to diagnose what has
gone wrong here.

Thanks,
  Dominic