[Hackrf-dev] help identifying signal

Dominic Spill dominicgs at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 00:41:53 EST 2015

On 7 December 2015 at 11:28, xun wang <xun911 at gmail.com> wrote:
> how come baudline doesn’t need to do any those things to see the bits clearly? wish there’re more resources to learn baudline though...

Any tool that plots frequency vs time vs power (baudline, inspectrum,
waterfall plot) allows you to see where any signal is in your received
data.  When building a GNU Radio flowgraph you need to let the blocks
know where the signal is so that they can decode the signal that
you're interested in.

This may not seem like a large distinction for a single recording of a
keyfob with very little background noise, but when you try to pluck
signals out of noisy bands it becomes much harder.  In general, GNU
Radio and the underlying DSP algorithms are designed to process
signals in the centre of the received spectrum.  Someone smarter than
me can probably give you more details on this.

When you view a waterfall plot, the signals are easy to pick out
because your eyes are good at spotting patterns.

Dominic