[Hackrf-dev] Help with troubleshooting rx on my possible broken

Fred Toewe ftoewe at austin.rr.com
Thu Apr 16 08:32:38 EDT 2015

Frank,  I am no Hackrf expert, but I fear you fried the first stage of
the receiver.  The Wiki warning reads

"Receive Power

The maximum RX power of HackRF One is -5 dBm. Exceeding -5 dBm can
result in permanent damage!

In theory, HackRF One can safely accept up to 10 dBm with the front-end
RX amplifier disabled. However, a simple software or user error could
enable the amplifier, resulting in permanent damage. It is better to use
an external attenuator than to risk damage."

Assuming you had an antenna connected when the 0.5 watt transmission was
made, the power was probably just too much for the first stage.  I would
troubleshoot that portion of the radio."

The possible good news is that this probably happened to a lot of people
so you should be able to get advice which components likely need replacing.

Good luck, Fred