[Hackrf-dev] Help with troubleshooting rx on my possible broken hackrf

Frank Pedersen frank at sundog.dk
Wed Apr 15 15:56:27 EDT 2015

Hello and greetings,
I hope I can ask my question here..

I got my hackrf around 4 - 5 month ago, and it have been working flawless
until last night. First it was working great, then sudently no signal.
There was a guy that send out an rf signal on 0,5 w like 1 meter away from
me, but I can't believe that it would course it to break!?

The problem looks this;
I connect it to my laptop (debian sid) I see it with lsusb and dmesg fine,
hackrf_info too, no problem there.

When running Gqrx I see the HackRF and I use the standart setting as I
normaly do. But when accepting the settings and start Gqrx I see no signal
peaks at all on the waterfall spectrum, only a bit of noise. Even on the
normal 100MHz FM I get nothing. I tried ajusting the normal setting in
Gqrx, no luck.

Then when I enter the settings again on Gqrx I see no HackRF. I have to
disconnect the usb cable, re-run Gqrx to see it again. Still no signal.

I tried many times, changed the usb cable to a new, 4 diffent antannas,
tried 5 different computers with Gqrx. Most Debian, but also one with
native Pentoo that I knew works. I also have tried with some a RTL2832U
R820T2, and that works fine so it's not my computers, cable or software as
far as I can figue.

The tx part works fine, I send a small peace of older raw recorded fm
signal with 'hackrf_transfer -t 100MHz-test.raw -f 35000000 -x 10' and I
see and hear the signal with a RTL2832U fine. When I use 'hackrf_transfer
-r 100fm-test.raw -f 100000000 -s 8000000' the file is only low noise. When
I open it in Baudline (50mb files) I only see vertical lines and noise plus
the horizontal DC spike, no normal RF signal.

The leds rx and tx works fine.

Then I updated the firmware again, tried the tree different approaches, but
still no luck.
Anyone have any idea what can have happened and what I can do to
troubleshoot? Is it the radio rx part that was burned perhaps?

Any suggestions I highly appchate cus I really wanna make it work again. I
can send more cli outputs, screenshots if needed.

>From my hackrf_info:
snippo at moondog-x201:~$ hackrf_info
Found HackRF board.
Board ID Number: 2 (HackRF One)
Firmware Version: 2014.08.1
Part ID Number: 0xa000cb3c 0x00544349
Serial Number: 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x457863c8 0x2e7b8e1f

screenshots:
http://i.imgur.com/xsVXyi1.png
http://i.imgur.com/9HKwHv5.png
http://i.imgur.com/ASwEYbI.png