[Hackrf-dev] Sensitivity

Alexandru Csete oz9aec at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 15:15:39 EDT 2015

On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 6:08 PM, Karsten von Hornbostel
<kaback at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 03, 2015 at 03:01:48PM +0200, Alexandru Csete wrote:
>>
>> HackRF screenshot: http://s2.postimg.org/ypsedty49/hackrf.png
>> RTL screenshot: http://s13.postimg.org/z2ebqrnmf/rtlsdr.png
>>

> Can you provide gain settings for your rtlsdr screenshot
> too? They can be seen on the hackrf screenshot, but not on the rtlsdr
> one. Also, can yout tell what rtlsdr device you have been using for
> the screenshot (e.g. which tuner)?

It's one of the new dongles with R820T2 tuner from Cosycave
The gain setting was close to maximum, perhaps 80%. Using the standard
rtl-sdr driver, i.e. none of the recently made forks with various gain
modifications.

Normally I don't set the gains according to sensitivity (whatever that
means) but according to lowest noise figure and best SNR without
front-end overloading. I live in the middle of nowhere so I can afford
having a high front-end gain.

Alex