[Hackrf-dev] ANT500 shorted

Rich S richnsanders at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 16:39:20 EDT 2014

The whip can be handy, especially when traveling.  Unless you're going
to transmit, I'd recommend hiding a discone antenna in your attic (this
wife will not like seeing this every day.)  The wideband freq response
is great, although there is no gain.  The ST4 costs under $70,
http://www.antennacraft.net/Antennas/AntennasScanner.html , and does a
good job.  If you're handy, you can make your own discone using the
calculator on this page, http://www.changpuak.ch/electronics/calc_11.php
,  I made a discone antenna that has very good performance from 600 Mhz
to just under 6 Ghz.  I made this out of sheet metal and it cost me
under $45.

Wideband amps are really getting cheap too.  QST's July 2014 edition had
the schematics and parts list for an amp that will work up to 4 Ghz and
6 Ghz.

Rich