[Hackrf-dev] FM receive difference between HackRF and RTL-SDR

Mehdi Asgari mehdi.qbic at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 09:08:38 EDT 2014

Hi
I am a beginner in SDRs (and DSP)
For the first sample, I'm, trying to build a FM receiver. I've tried both
RTL-SDR and HackRF One (with both GNU Radio and Gqrx)
I can easily get the desired station (on 88.0 MHZ) without noise on RTL-SDR
(using Gqrx or GRC)
But when I use HackRF One (with Gqrx or GRC), I can get the radio, but it's
noisy.
Is is because HackRF's higher sensitivity or does it need more adjustment
to work fine?

Note 1: I am using GNU Radio Live DVD and HackRF One with firmware
2014.08.1 and RTL-SDR (RTL2832)
Note 2:
Link for using RTL-SDR with GRC:
http://www.instructables.com/id/RTL-SDR-FM-radio-receiver-with-GNU-Radio-Companion/?ALLSTEPS
Link for using HackRF with GRC: Mike's lesson 1