[Hackrf-dev] HackRF One receiver sensitivity vs temperature vs host computer resources

Robert Morales wp4bqv at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 20:07:22 EDT 2014

Hello,
I just received my HackRF One.  It is running git-44df9d1 firmware.  I am
using a repurposed old laptop with a Centrino Core2 Duo 2.4GHz processor
and 2Gb of RAM on which I've loaded the latest Kali Linux distro and the
latest build of the GNU Radio packages.

My question is this, doing some initial validation testing that the board
is working, I'm using gqrx to tune to strong local FM stations with the
appropriate settings (WFM, etc).  The audio quality is decent but not
"stereo FM" quality.  I'm not as concerned by that as the apparent
degradation in receiver performance over time.  Monitoring the same station
say 30 mins after the computer has been on, I can't seem to find as many
stations on spectrum as before and the one being monitored appears somewhat
attenuated.  By comparison, if I use the same antenna but with the cheap
RTL-SDR on a newer PC running Win8.1 and SDR#, the quality of the audio is
"commercial receiver quality" plus the receiver appears to be more
sensitive than the HackRF One under GNU Radio.  I have also noticed that
the GNU Radio/Kali Linux PC gets hot quickly once it is doing signal
processing (fan kicks in and hot air definitely cycled out of the laptop).
  Is my problem more likely to be due to the Kali Linux laptop overheating
or thermal issues with the HackRF One itself.  My HackRF One is stock in
its original plastic enclosure.

I have not yet tried using the HackRF One under SDR# for comparison.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!
Bob.
wp4bqv at gmail.com

--