[Hackrf-dev] Input from Photodiode

Ian Davidson IDavidson at micropack.co.uk
Sun Sep 14 15:44:59 EDT 2014

An unusual request here, HackRF folks.

I'm looking at the possibility of using HackRF and SDR# (or similar) to detect the beating of two lasers on a fast photodiode.

I know the frequencies of light and RF are several orders of magnitude different but if the lasers (or cavities) are any good (near single mode, stable etc)  then you *do* get a heterodyne beat (Google 'laser heterodyne spectroscopy' if you are keen).

My question is - can anyone on the forum  offer me any thoughts on the best way to interface a Photodiode to the HAckRF input?

Many Thanks

Ian