[Hackrf-dev] HackRF-dev Digest, Vol 21, Issue 4

McDonald, J Douglas jdmcdona at illinois.edu
Thu Sep 4 09:24:51 EDT 2014

Thanks greatly!

I tried that boot disk and it, the disk, worked.
However, while I understand what it does and how to use it
(it being Gnu Radio) I find the same problem with it that
bugged me horribly before I retired ... newbees need
EXAMPLES. I taught Quantum Mechanics to chemists for
decades and no matter how well you explained the theory,
they needed a few examples that 100% went though things before they
got the hand of it.

I need the same for Gnu Radio. Where are the useful examples?
Perhaps I should start with the Companion. I clearly can
pick up the "text" coding if I can simply know what I need to
connect up to get things done. Like an example ... using the
HackRF and/or the DVB dongles ... like one that does ordinary FM radio
at 101.1 MHz, one that does broadcast band or SW AM radio, and
ones that display a spectrum with selectable frequency and
bandwidth (though I probably can figure that out).  I don't find those.

I mean complete, not toy, examples. I found toys. You don't learn how to
use things like GnuRadio with toys! You need big examples!

Also ... can I put this file on a say 8 GB USB bootable key and then use the
file system on the key to store projects? If so, exactly how?

Finally ... exactly what is the frequency response of the HackRF
SUPPOSED to be? That will allow a simple check, as SDR# does work,
sort of. I.e. suppose I use a "hamitup" 0-30 MHz upconverter, so there is
a huge spike at 125 MHz.  (or set my synthesizer to 125). Bandwidth is set to
say 10 MHz and 125 MHZ  is in the
middle of the display.  I measue the amplitude. I move it
to 129 MHz (right of screen) and measure it. Then I move it to
129.95 (almost off screen) and measure. Then move to
131 (now at far left) and measure. Then 132, 133 ... up
to 139. This plots the IF response, presumably. What SHOULD
it look like at each bandwidth setting.

Doug McDonald

From: Michael Ossmann <mike at ossmann.com>
To: "McDonald, J Douglas" <jdmcdona at illinois.edu>
On Wed, Sep 03, 2014 at 07:44:48PM +0000, McDonald, J Douglas wrote:

> I tried that (PEntoo) twice, on two computers. It boots but fails when
> "startx" is tried. Are there other programs that actually DO
> "just work"?
There is a known bug with certain video cards that you're probably
running into.  Fortunately a new Pentoo iso is going to be released
within the next few days that should fix that problems.

In the meantime, I suggest trying the latest test release of the GNU
Radio Live DVD:

http://downloads.gnuradio.org/releases/gnuradio/iso/gnuradio-test.iso

This URL will probably only be good for about a day.  It is a test
version.  A new release of the iso is planned to be done before the GNU
Radio conference in a couple weeks.  I've verified the HackRF
functionality in this test version.

Mike