[Hackrf-dev] Successfully built gr-scan for MacOS Mavericks

Robert Morales wp4bqv at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 13:05:18 EDT 2014

A quick note to say thanks for Brian Dickman for his assistance in getting
his gr-scan files from Github to compile under MacOS Mavericks for use with
the HackRF One.

I've copied some of his guidance here for others to use.  Note that in my
case, I have GNU Radio built and installed under MacPorts while he used
Homebrew.  Hence there were some differences for me to get gr-scan to build
properly.

<From Brian>
The problem is that g++ doesn't know to search for the macports files in
/opt/local by default, so we have to tell it to look there. We do this for
both the include files (.h) and library files (.so).

1) Unless you specified a different folder when you installed MacPorts the
first time, they should live in /opt/local (this is called the MacPorts
"prefix"). Confirm the location by querying ports: "port contents
argp-standalone". That should list all the argp files by location, which
should all start with the same prefix.
2) Add the "prefix / include" and "prefix / lib" folders to the Makefile,
using the -I (capital i) and -L parameters. -I specifies an extra folder
where gcc should look for header files, and -L specifies a folder that gcc
should look for library files. Two pre-existing lines from the Makefile are
shown for context, only the third line below is new:

CXXFLAGS=-DVERSION="\"gr-scan $(VERSION)\"" -std=c++11 -Wall \
-I/usr/local/include -largp -lgnuradio-pmt -lgnuradio-runtime
-lgnuradio-blocks -lgnuradio-fft -lgnuradio-filter -lgnuradio-osmosdr
-lboost_system -O2 -Wno-unused-function
CXXFLAGS+=-I/opt/local/include -L/opt/local/lib
<SNIP>

Lastly, my installation of the boost package under MacPorts creates a
library called lboost_system-mt instead of lboost_system, hence the
Makefile should be edited as shown below:
CXXFLAGS=-DVERSION="\"gr-scan $(VERSION)\"" -std=c++11 -Wall \
-I/usr/local/include -largp -lgnuradio-pmt -lgnuradio-runtime
-lgnuradio-blocks -lgnuradio-fft -lgnuradio-filter -lgnuradio-osmosdr
-lboost_system-mt -O2 -Wno-unused-function
CXXFLAGS+=-I/opt/local/include -L/opt/local/lib

 Once this last edit is done, the make will run cleanly and gr-scan works
as expected.

Here's the link to Brian's Github archive:

https://github.com/briand/gr-scan

Cheers,
-Bob, WP4BQV/VQ9BQV.