[Hackrf-dev] LNA / Power Amplifier question.

Dr. Johannes Gerstlauer jm at gerstlauer.de
Mon Nov 10 06:27:26 EST 2014

3dB, that is the noise figure of the internal LNA (MGA81563). The total
cascaded NF is much higher. It has been measured at 7dB. So, adding a
good (NF=1dB) external LNA will result in an 5dB improvement of
sensitivity. The additional cost of  $30  ("LNA4ALL") may be well worth it.
However, please keep in mind:
- the transmitting path to the antenna will be blocked by the external
amplifier.
- the external amplifier can not be activated by the osmocom block under
grc.
- the internal LNA can not be deactivated by the osmocom source block.
It is always on.

John