[Hackrf-dev] getting started

Gregory Walker gwalker at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 21 12:14:30 EDT 2014

Larry,

I feel your pain. I am new to GNURadio and HackRF. I ran pentoo from the
live DVD to verify the hardware, then tried the same build systems as
you. I found that PyBombs worked on my Linux Mint 17 system (based on
Ubuntu 14.04). The successful trick I found was to use the
"MiniQuickStart" approach from this web page:
http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/pybombs/wiki

I ran the app_store.py script and used the Graphical UI to build
gnuradio, gr-osmosdr and hackrf. I could then run the fm_radio_rx.py
demo script.
I was also able to build gqrx after some hand modifications of the build
scripts. Basically, the libboost libraries on the latest Ubuntu does not
have the "-mt" suffix. By removing it in the build scripts I was able to
build and run gqrx with my HackRF.

Please contact me offline. I will be glad to discuss build problems with
you and maybe we can help each other get up to speed on GNURadio.

      Cheers,
      Gregory Walker