[Hackrf-dev] HackRF based SmartNet Radio Monitor

Luke Berndt lukekb at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 22:04:58 EST 2013

It has taken a lot of futzing, but I have my HackRF recording the
Washington DC's Fire Dept radio system and making it playable on the web.

The website to listen to it is here: http://www.openmhz.com/
And a writeup on it is here:
http://lukeberndt.com/2013/using-a-hackrf-to-capture-an-entire-radio-system/

The DC Fire system is a SmartNet II trunking system that has digital voice
channels. The recording part of my ssytem is a C++ program that uses
GnuRadio to capture and decode the trunking control channel and then
creates recorders to capture radio calls. The digital audio is then decoded
using DSD and uploaded to my website.

All of the code is up here:
https://github.com/robotastic/smartnet-recorderand the code for the
website is here:
https://github.com/robotastic/smartnet-player

Hopefully the code is useful to others!

The channels are spread out over 5MHz, so it is great that the HackRF can
easily cover it.

- Luke