[Hackrf-dev] GNU Radio Companion

dragorn dragorn at kismetwireless.net
Sun Jun 23 12:25:01 EDT 2013

> And I think you've hit the nail on the head when you say "an RF

> guy"... I'm not an "RF guy", I'm a "security guy", and I'm talking

> about the difference between using a device like HackRF as a

> research tool for the technology itself (i.e. RF/SDR), and using it

> as a tool for researching other things (such as inter-device

> communications/telemetry etc.). For example, I don't really need to

> understand how to demodulate an AM/FM signal if all I want is the

> binary that's being transmitted...

> Obviously, those working on the low level guts of the SDR itself

> will benefit hugely from the simplicity of this platform and of

> gnu-radio, but HackRF also represents a huge leap forward for me in

> that it combines the receiver and transmitter tools, for which up to

> know I've had to use separate devices. I just want to get it to a

> state that I can do 'useful' stuff with it without having to roll my

> sleeves up in the same was as I can get into my car and drive to

> London without knowing how to strip down and rebuild the gearbox...

The following might be useful to you as an interesting tutorial of
going from raw capture, to data, to replicating, from a security point
of view:

http://adamsblog.aperturelabs.com/2013/03/you-can-ring-my-bell-adventures-in-sub.html

Right now you're going to be messing around in GRC to get much done;
there just aren't many other tools out there. That's hopefully some
of what hackrf will fix, making it available to non-rf-experts.

For just tooling around in the spectrum looking for interesting signal
patterns, I'm a big fan of GQRX. Many are not, but I haven't found
something better in Linux yet.

-m