[Hackrf-dev] Jawbreaker firmware update fail

Graham Cottew gc at zendata.com
Mon Jul 29 21:37:30 EDT 2013

Thanks Ryan.

Step 1 done.

Step 2 in progress. I may be making life even more difficult than I need as I am running on a Mac.

But before I had this flash problem I have been going great guns with gnu radio 3.7, gr-osmosdr and with the Jawbreaker working well on receive and transmit using a bunch of gnuradio companion programs I have created. Put up a lovely discone wide range antennae about 20 meters above ground and just starting to get into it!

If the Mac proves to hard to get all the dependancies running on then I am building an ubuntu 13.04 notebook up as we speak (I also have a number of Ubuntu VMs running gnuradio 3.6.4 and 3.7 that work fine with the Jawbreaker as well).

On 30/07/2013, at 10:52 AM, hackgnar <ripper at hackgnar.com> wrote:

> Graham,

> I think you may just be stuck on a bad flash. The first time this happened to me, I had to bang my head on the table for a few minutes. These are the detailed steps on how to recover.

> 1) Following the steps on the wiki firmware section, I unplugged the hackrf, shorted the two pins to enter DFU boot mode and then plugged in the board with the pins still shorted.

> 2) I ran "make program" from inside the hackrf_usb directory. I got stuck here as I didn't have the program "dfu-program" installed. After installing this I was fine. You'll obviously also need other build dependancies up and running. The trickiest being https://code.launchpad.net/gcc-arm-embedded , but you can read the readme.md located here https://github.com/mossmann/hackrf/tree/master/firmware

> 3) After running "make program" successfully, you can then change into the hackrf_usb_rom_to_ram directory, compile the hackrf_usb_rom_to_ram.bin file and install it with:

> hackrf_spiflash -w hackrf_usb_rom_to_ram.bin

> This assumes you installed hackrf_spiflash to your base bin directories.

> Let me know if you need any more help.

> Ryan

> On Jul 29, 2013, at 6:36 PM, Graham Cottew <gc at zendata.com> wrote:

>> Happy to do that but do not know how to recover from my failed flash. The board appears to be in DFU mode even without the jumper in.

>> What is the process for recovering if I am unable to run 'make program' ?

>> I do not have a hackrf_usb.bin but I do have a known good hackrf_usb_rom_to_ram.bin from 2013.06.1

>> What are the steps to get the DFU'd Jawbreaker to download these files?

>>> Yes.