[Hackrf-dev] Another HackRF Tutorial

dragorn dragorn at kismetwireless.net
Fri Aug 16 10:55:23 EDT 2013

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 06:35:45AM -0500, john at zaphv.com wrote:

> I was really suprised at the interest I got with my last tutorial

> over 4000 views in under 48hours, to that end here is another

> tutorial I wrote on decoding pagers, Enjoy.

> http://binaryrf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8

Cool - I've avoided doing this because in the US at least it's not
legal to look at digital pager traffic.

I've had good luck with gqrx and the loopback audio driver -
snd_aloop.

# modprobe snd_aloop

then configure gqrx so the output device is the loopback (just select
it in the gui).

Then you can use sox to mangle the audio to the format multimonNG
wants:

$ sox -t alsa hw:1,1,0 -t wav --rate 22050 -e signed -b 16 -c 1 - 2>/dev/null | multimon-ng

hw:1,1,0 is the loopback on my system, card 1, device 1, subdevice 0,
you can make sure it's the same with 'aplay -l'

The rest of the sox line just mangles it into the format multimon
wants.

-m